With fantasy films and TV series still few and far between, a new one is underway with an adaptation of Robert Jordan’s massive Wheel of Time novel series on Amazon Prime. The show has already received a green light for the second season and is in production.
PLEASE try to keep book spoilers about future events CLEARLY listed and blocked as spoilers.
The leading cast includes:
- Rosamund Pike as Moiraine
- Josha Stradowski as Rand al’Thor
- Marcus Rutherford as Perrin Aybara
- Zoë Robins as Nynaeve al’Meara
- Barney Harris as Mat Cauthon (S1)
- Donal Finn as Mat Cauthon (S2)
- Madeleine Madden as Egwene al’Vere
- Daniel Henney as al’Lan Mandragoran
- Michael McElhatton as Tam al’Thor
Rafe Judkins is serving as a showrunner, executive producer, and writer on the adaptation. Judkins looks to be quite the fan of the original work, which is a big plus, and has some solid TV experience working on Chuck and Hemlock Grove as well as Agents of SHIELD.
Sony Pictures Television will be producing it along with Red Eagle Entertainment and Radar Pictures.
Plot concept: Set in a sprawling, epic world where magic exists and only certain women are allowed to access it, the story follows Moiraine, a member of the incredibly powerful all-female organization called the Aes Sedai, as she arrives in the small town of Two Rivers. There, she embarks on a dangerous, world-spanning journey with five young men and women, one of whom is prophesied to be the Dragon Reborn, who will either save or destroy humanity.