You set out from ValueFilm Productions HQ in Schenectady, New York, with high hopes. You have jobs! Making television! You can hardly wait to meet the dynamic and engaging stars of Dehaunters on-site. They’re being flown in; YOU are all riding in a Dodge van that still says Schenectady Bible Fellowship on the side. The struts have collapsed, and every time you hit a pothole it feels like you’re in a small boat cresting a huge wave. There are a lot of potholes.
You drive through Vermont (picturesque!), New Hampshire (okay!), Maine (ominous!) and finally New Brunswick (uh…). New Brunswick is eerie, just highway running across low, forested hills for
miles and miles kilometers and kilometers. It’s even more unsettling for those of you who didn’t even know New Brunswick existed, and just assumed the ocean wrapped all the way around the top of Maine, like it’s shown on maps of the U.S.
You cross the Confederation Bridge into Prince Edward Island. PEI looks kind of like Pennsylvania, except that the soil is blood red. By now you’ve been in the van for 14 hours, and are so worn out that when you stop for snacks, you can’t figure out which of the many, many coins with Queen Elizabeth II on them is the Canadian dollar. Then it’s back on the road, past more open fields and sandstone cliffs that look like they belong on Mars.
At last, you pass a sign welcoming you to the little town of Neptune Shoals (Population: 1,207; Sister city: Lunapool, FL.) It is here, on the far end of town, that you find Wimbiscus Manor, situated between a cemetery and a 24-hour gas station. Fading leaves drop from the trees as the van rolls up onto the lawn. The equipment crew is already unloading boxes, while the show’s three stars stand under field lights, comparing notes.
“I’m telling you, dude,” says Tyrone, the show’s Voice of Reason. “If ghosts ARE real, and we DO meet some, they are not going to appreciate your fake accent.”
“We’ll just see aboot that, eh?” says Rick, the Goofy One. Tyrone gives him a neutral expression, one that says: I have to work with you, and this is part of that.
Paisley, the Fun One, is standing off to the side checking her phone, but she looks up and smiles as you pile out of the van. “Guys! The B-roll team is here!”
“Nice!” says Rick. Tyrone walks up and shakes your hands; Rick then immediately shakes them harder. Paisley gets a group photo, which she says is going right on her Instagram. Those of you who follow her on Instagram are unhappy to see that the photograph made you look even worse than you feel.
You’re then introduced to a very old man whose name, as far as you can tell, is Wish Kenth. Wish has been the caretaker of Wimbiscus Manor since 1972, when the last known Wimbiscuses left, vowing never to return.
“But there is a prophecy,” Wish tells you, as you set up your cameras. “One final Wimbiscus has already been born. That person is fated to return to this hall, and complete the curse.” Then Paisley gets a selfie with him.
Rick grabs a camera. “Hey there everybody! We’ve just arrived at Wimbiscus Manor. I have it on good authority that there’s some major supernatural shenanigans here. Isn’t that right, Ty?”
Tyrone times his sigh so that it’s already over by the time Rick turns the camera on him. “That’s right, Rick. The Dehaunters forums have been after us for months to check out this wild building, and we’re finally here.”
Paisley waves, and the camera pans to her: “This is it, guys,” she says, completely stone-faced. “This is where we find iron-clad proof that ghosts are real. We’ll be back after the break.”
“CUT!” yells a voice from the back. A skinny man with a cravat walks out of a trailer near the gas station side of the property. “So sorry I didn’t hear you all arrive; I was on a Skype call with Mother.” He looks you over. “I’m Philo Gates, the director. You’re the new production team?”
“Then get to it! Produce!”
“Don’t we get to sleep first?” someone asks.
“It’s supposed to rain tomorrow. Get me some spooky night-time B-roll, then you sleep.”
Wish lights a hurricane lantern and waves you into the building. Trying to white-balance the picture against the kerosene flame is hell.
- April LKD
- Sister Jude the Obscure
- The Hayes Code
- Lamb Dance
- D. Goat
- Jon Hamm’s John Ham
- Dr. Nick
- Mr. I’m My Own Grandfather
- Sic Humor
- Hoho Dream Warrior Possum
- Ult Warrior
- Robert Post’s Child
- Lindsay Disguised Leviathan
- Colonel Mustard
- TOWN (ValueFilm Productions field crew)
- 1 Unit Director (Jailer)
- 1 Field Medic (Specialized doctor; uses items chosen by vote)
- 1 Key Grip (Detective)
- 1 Prop Master (Vigilante)
- 13 Videographers (vanilla town)
- WOLVES (Cursees)
- 1 Evil Sound Technician (wolf Roleblocker)
- 4 Evil Videographers (vanilla wolves)
- 1 Heir to the House of Wimbiscus (Serial Killer)
- The serial killer has to be killed twice to die.
- The jailer cannot jail themselves, or the same person two days in a row.
- The investigator will be told both alignment and (if applicable) the role of the person they investigate. (I haven’t done this in the past, but scum has won every game I’ve run so far, so this is a balancing attempt.)
- Events will occur randomly throughout each game day, and the group will be awarded points on how they handle the events. The points are used at the catering truck, which appears one hour before twilight each day. Whatever item(s) you buy will be used by the Field Medic that night.
- Win conditions:
- The wolves win when they are equal to the number of town-aligned players left.
- Town wins when all the wolves and the serial killer are defeated.
- Serial killer wins when it comes down to just them and one other person.
- A three-way standoff between the last town, last wolf and SK will result in a special ending.
- A tie at the end of day results in No Lynch. A majority of living players voting for any one person (or No Lynch) ends the day early.
- If you autolynch before the catering truck arrives, it won’t come that day. Bear that in mind before you autolynch.
- No editing posts.
- No quoting or screencapping from your QTs.
- If you have any other questions about rules, please ask in QT, and I will answer publicly here.
Day 1 ends Thursday at 3 p.m. EST.