Welcome to The ABC discussion of Radiance by Catherynne M. Valente!
I’ve written up a few talking points/guide questions below just to get things going. They’re just guides, so no need to actually answer them.
Feel free to come back to the post to check for new comments. I myself haven’t finished the novel, so I’ll be commenting around in the next few days.
Talking points/Guide questions:
- Wordbuilding – Is it conceivably realized as a universe that discovered space travel in the 20th century?
- Format – What did you think of Valente’s choice to make it an epistolary novel? Did it add to or detract from the story?
- Characters – Are they believable? Interesting? Did you wish that a particular character was focused on more? Or less?
- Writing – Do you appreciate Valente’s prose? Did you find it distracting or out of place?
- Recommendations – For those who have read Valente’s other work, which novel/s of hers would you recommend for those who liked Radiance?
You can spoiler tag major plot points if you wish, but it isn’t necessary.