Greg Woods introduces this week’s video with talk of a “host’s curse.” He might be on to something, considering the O’rangers’ dire 15th place finish in yesterday’s qualifying round. But that was just for determining the starting order for today’s race. Today is when points get put on the scoreboard.
This is a race defined by consistent performance. After an early lead change, Bill of the Green Ducks gets out in front, and no one can catch him.1 The Savage Speeders and the Hazers battle it out for second and third, with the former eking out a silver finish by a few tenths of a second. Meanwhile, the Limers put up a consistently good performance for a fourth-place finish.
After today’s race, the podium finishers are all in the top 3 in the overall standings. The Hazers have moved up into first, with the Green Ducks and the Savage Speeders just behind them, in that order. Meanwhile, both Team Galactic and the Snowballs have dropped out of top 3.
- The O’rangers could not get it together. They finished in a disappointing 14th place and are rapidly falling down the overall rankings.
- The Limers have been the butt of many jokes over the past couple of years, but Limelime’s great performance today might turn their reputation around.
- The Raspberry Racers briefly held second place before choking and dropping all the way back to eighth. This is not the kind of performance I would have expected from them after winning last year’s Marble League.
- When a Savage Speeder encounters an obstacle, they don’t go around it; they go over it. That’s certainly a choice.
- Bad luck for the Midnight Wisps on the conveyor belt. I know that negotiating curves and obstacles is what most of the marbles’ training comprises, but the Wisps’ coach has got to be kicking herself for not doing enough belt safety drills.
Next week, we’re off to the Momotorway! Team Momo had better shape up.
Complete stats for Marbula One can be found at the Marble League Wiki.