“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Welcome to Milliways! Prepare for the finest dining and entertainment experience in the multiverse!
You and your party are about to enjoy a meticulously prepared multi-course meal while watching the most incredible spectacle imaginable: the end of existence itself!
You have arrived … at The Restaurant at the End of the Universe!
A variety of entities from throughout the omniverse have traveled to Milliways to enjoy a multi-course meal, sip overpriced cocktails, and watch the final moments of existence.
Diners win the game when all Vogons and Independent roles are dead before the Universe ends.
Vanilla Diners have no night actions.
Several players have secret passive powers, though they are still considered Vanilla Diners:
- Vogon Poetry Lover: If this player is targeted by the Vogons to be killed, they survive and are recruited as a Vogon instead.
- Boghog: The meat of a Boghog is completely inedible, so they cannot be eaten by the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal. (The Boghog can die from any other means, such as day-kill or Vogon kill.)
- Perfectly Normal Beast: The meat of a Perfectly Normal Beast is extra delicious. If this player is eaten by the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal, it counts as two kills towards the Beast’s total needed to win the game.
- Agrajag: Has an optional one-shot kill that is only activated when Agrajag dies.
- Garkbit: Each day, Garkbit (the Head Waiter at Milliways) chooses a special rule from a menu. This rule is revealed to all players at some point during the day, and only applies to that day. Since this is a day action, Garkbit’s power cannot be blocked or detected by Zaphod Beeblebrox. If killed, another Diner will be randomly selected as the new Garkbit.
Blagulon Kappan (Investigator): A methane-breathing life form that can investigate the alignment of one player per night. Possible results are “Diner” or “Vogon”.
- The Vogon Poetry Lover reads as “Diner” until they are recruited, then they read as “Vogon”.
- The Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal, Max Quordlepleen, and Zarniwoop read as “Diner”.
Colin (Jailer): A small, round, melon-sized, flying security robot that can put a target player in jail for the night, protecting and blocking them. Cannot choose the same player two nights in a row and cannot choose themselves.
Benjy Mouse: May send messages to other players’ brains as a night action.
Zaphod Beeblebrox: Two players that share a private QT. Each night, Zaphod chooses a player to watch and see if they perform a night action (but not what the night action does). A jailed or blocked player does not detect as having a night action. If one Zaphod player dies, the other survives, but they lose this power and the dead Zaphod player has a choice of continuing to chat in their private QT or going to the graveyard.
The Vogons are one of the most unpleasant races in the galaxy, bad tempered, bureaucratic, officious and callous. They are known for their lethally terrible poetry.
Vogons win the game when the number of Vogon players equals the number of Diner players and the Independent roles are dead before the Universe ends.
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz: Performs all Vogon kills through reciting poetry as a night action. If Jeltz is jailed, the Vogon kill is blocked for that night. If Jeltz dies, his night action moves to Kwaltz, then Zarniwoop, and so on.
Kwaltz: Vogon Investigator. The Vogon Poetry Lover is the only player that will return a positive investigation result.
Zarniwoop: Reads as Diner when investigated.
Constant Mown: Vogon role-blocker.
Max Quordlepleen, host and entertainer at Milliways who has witnessed the end of the universe over five hundred times.
Max can choose to protect a player from death as a night action. Can protect themselves twice during the game. Cannot choose the same player two nights in a row. Max wins the game alone if he is still alive when the Universe ends.
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal, known for its never-ending hunger and mind-boggling stupidity.
Serial killer. Wins the game once they eat X* players. (*X will be determined by the number of players who sign up.)
Roleplaying: Creatures from all over the multiverse dine at Milliways, which means you can RP anything you want.
Participation: You must make a minimum of three posts per day to avoid being mod-killed or replaced.
Tiebreaker: If a day ends in a tie vote, no player dies.
- Captain Oblivious
- El Marinero
- Hayes Code
- Josephus Brown
- Sic Humor
- Side Character
DISCLAIMER: A good deal of the write-ups for this game will be lifted directly from Douglas Adams’ novels. He was a genius and I am not, so anything clever you read here should be attributed to him.