I just finished the first season of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power and here’s a dedicated thread to talk about it. I’m not sure how much we should use spoiler quotes – this is one of those shows where you meet all the characters in the intro sequence before you’ve met half of them in the show itself – but, just to be safe, I’ll put all my own thoughts below this spoiler tag right here.
- The biggest obvious influence (outside the original She-Ra) is clearly Sailor Moon, but Catra is basically Aisha Clan-Clan from Outlaw Star. It’s both weird and cool to me that people who saw the same stuff I did as a kid are now incorporating those influences into new material.
- Sea Hawk is Zap Brannigan in better physical shape.
- Mermista is Bea from Night in the Woods.
- Bow is, uh, Ma-Ti from Captain Planet. I am not a crackpot.
- Fuck yeah, overgrown ruins of the future, love that shit.
- The early episodes get a LOT of mileage out of Adora not knowing social basics, and it’s almost a shame that eventually she sort of gets up to speed and doesn’t need to ask what things are anymore.
- The fight in the holographic chamber is the most emotionally devastating thing I’ve seen this year.