This is intended for a) previous participants to discuss what they enjoyed or struggled with in either Giftmas: Origins or Giftmas II: Electric Boogaloo, and b) folks considering participating for the first time to ask questions. I’ll update this header’s FAQ as needed.
Do not use this thread as an introductions/”let me list everything I like to help out my potential giftee” thread – I’ll see about getting one up once giftee assignments go out.
Giftmas sign-ups will be available 10/1/18 and will close at noon CDT on 10/12.
- What in the heck is a Giftmas?
- Basically it’s our birthday and Winter Holiday Of Your Preference rolled into one. We started doing it two years ago to celebrate the one-year anniversary of The Avocado’s existence, which happened to be December 4th (the full name of this Most Holy Day is Giftmasiversary). The date has floated to the first Sunday in December, as Sundays seem to be more manageable for people. This year, it’ll be December 2nd.
- But… why the sign-ups then?
- So we do this really fun gift exchange, basically like Reddit Secret Santa except way cooler because we all at least kinda know each other and have overlapping interests. Check out last year’s exchange thread if you want an idea of how it went.
- Whoa, that’s pretty cool. Are there, like, rules?
- There’s a $20 cap and homemade gifts are encouraged, that way hopefully cost is less of an issue.
- To that end, you can specify both your shipping and receiving preferences, to minimize cost as much as possible and to maintain whatever level of privacy you’re comfortable with.
- You have to get your gift to your giftee by Giftmas, so realistically, November 30th or December 1st at the latest.
- In the event there is someone you would not be comfortable giving a gift to/receiving a gift from under any circumstances, there will be a place to note that and I am the only one who will ever see it.
- No swaps once giftees are assigned.
- That’s more or less it.
- But how will my gifter know what to get me? What the heck do I get my giftee? STRESSBALL
- So there is actually a section in the form to list both the things you’re interested in (e.g. Dr. Who, early Regency literature, the musical stylings of Barry Manilow, etc.) and any restrictions or specifics (e.g. shirt size L, nut allergy, not Barry Manilow’s 1978 masterpiece Even Now because I already have 5 copies, etc.). Plus, we’ll do at least one wish list / gift idea brainstorming thread and an introductions thread, so you can comment-history-creep your giftee to your heart’s content.
- Oh okay, that’s pretty legit. So, if I sign up, when will I find out who my giftee is?
- Depends on how busy Jaye’s life is, but probably later that Friday or sometime over the weekend.