This would make more sense closer to Bastille Day, but I was reading about it last night and I want to strike while the mental iron is hot.
- What sartorial name was given to the class of revolution minded commoners of late 18th century France, such as the gentleman (no doubt uncomfortable in the summer heat) seen below?
- What was the somewhat ironic name for the political body that assumed de facto leadership of France during the “Reign of Terror” of 1793-1794?
- What Holy Roman Empress of the House of Hapsburg was mother to the unfortunate Maria Antonia?
- A play set during the last days of Maximilien Robespierre lends it name to what rich seafood dish created by Auguste Escoffier?
- From what 1950 short is the still below taken? Its title character is take off (in name more than manner) on a swashbuckling character created by Baroness Orczy.
- Committee of Public Safety
- Maria Theresa
- Lobster Thermidor
- “The Scarlet Pumpernickel”
Please use spoiler tags if you play along in the comments.