There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
Maple Street, USA. The first warm night in early spring. Children play with the promise of a waning winter; their parents tending their freshly sprouting gardens; their neighbors quietly reading the Sunday Edition on the front porch. The sky abruptly illuminates and the calm is split by a crack of thunder – but a second later, the sky returns to its sunset hues, with no clouds in sight. This is Maple Street at 7:27, Sunday evening. Maple Street in the last calm and reflective moment – before the monsters came.
The last time we visited this sleepy town (https://vimeo.com/168014736), there were no monsters save for the ones in our imaginations. This time, the monsters are all too real.
Imagine, if you will, a community turned against itself. Eighteen individuals–once friends–now suspicious of one another’s every move. The monsters are among them. In a boom and a flash, confusion and panic set in. In the morass, the monsters slip into homes and into diners and into the very seams of society itself. So good are their disguises that they cannot even recognize one another.
But make no mistake, the monsters are dangerous. And they are among us. And they mean to take over.
THE WEREWOLVES ARE DUE ON MAPLE STREET
(note: this game started as an Invasion of the Body Snatchers riff, so the rules still reflect that. I like the Twilight Zone motif better so here we are… I’m your very own Rod Serling.)
Town wins when remaining players are 100% town
Wolves win when remaining players are 100% wolf
(In the unlikely case of a one-on-one tie, Rod Serling will decide the winner)
Roles (20 total players):
Wolf team (4 wolf-aligned players):
- 2 Wolves
- 1 Wolf Detective
- 1 Wolf Stalker
Town team (16 town-aligned players):
- 9 Vanilla Town
- 2 Jailers
- 2 Doctors
- 1 Town Detective
- 1 Doomsday Prepper
- 1 Town Gossip
- Jailers use their actions first at night.
- The jailers don’t trust anyone in the aftermath of the wolves’ arrival and would rather lock up the whole town rather than risk innocent people dying.
- Jailers cannot jail themselves or the same player twice in a row.
- If the jailer targets the Doomsday Prepper or the other jailer, there is no effect.
- A jailed player cannot use night actions and cannot be the target of night actions (exception: see Doomsday Prepper below).
- Doctors use their actions second at night.
- The doctors know that evil is afoot, and want to protect as many townspeople as they can during this invasion.
- Doctors cannot heal the same player twice in a row.
- If the doctor targets the Doomsday Prepper or the other doctor, there is no effect.
- A healed player cannot be night killed or recruited.
- Wolves use their actions third at night.
- The wolves arrived in a flash of light suddenly and quickly took on the guise of regular resident of Maple Street. To ensure secrecy, the wolves do not dare communicate with each other, even in private.
- Two wolves are randomly selected to attack a player each. The attacked players will be either night killed or recruited, as determined by coin flip. The attacking wolves will not know the result of their attack until the morning write-up.
- Wolves with roles can be randomly selected to make night attacks.
- Recruited players with roles will lose their role ability and become vanilla wolves.
- Wolves who are jailed may be randomly selected to attack another player. In that case, the attack fails automatically.
- Wolves have no private QT. At the beginning of the game, all four wolves will be informed who their fellow wolves are. When a wolf is recruited, the recruit will be told the name of the wolf who attacked them.
- Wolves can attack other wolves. As in any case, the attacked player has a 50% chance of being killed. If there are only two wolves remaining, the wolves will not be able to attack one another.
- Detectives use their actions fourth at night.
- The two detectives look into their fellow townspeople’s backgrounds at night, trying to find out who they can trust and who is would rather see them dead.
- Both detectives have the ability to investigate player’s current team affiliation. Investigated players will have their full roles revealed.
- The town detective will be informed, starting on night three, how many previously investigated players have been recruited. No specifics will be given, only a report stating “Of n previously investigated players, x are town affiliated, y are wolf affiliated, and z are dead.”
- The wolf detective has a one-shot ability to learn the total number of active wolves in the game. They may use this instead of their investigation on any night.
- The Doomsday Prepper is the last to use their action at night.
- The Doomsday Prepper is highly paranoid and each night enters their bunker, not to be disturbed until morning. The Doomsday Prepper, as a result, cannot be jailed, healed, or investigated.
- Each morning, after staying up all night talking to themselves and making conspiracy theories, the Doomsday Prepper drops off a gun on the doorstep of another player. That player may use their one-shot vig kill on any subsequent night.
- The Doomsday Prepper may occasionally leave other items for players as well.
- Jailed players can receive items from the Doomsday Prepper, as they are left on their doorstep waiting to be found at morning.
- Due to paranoia, the Doomsday Prepper will shoot back at whoever attacks him in the night. The Doomsday Prepper cannot be recruited; all attacks will result in a kill. If the Doomsday Prepper is night killed (by wolf or vig), the attacker will be killed as well. If the Doomsday Prepper is lynched, they may select one player who voted for them to be killed with their parting shot.
- The Wolf Stalker prowls each night on Maple Street and sees whose home their fellow wolves enter.
- The Stalker will be told, each morning, who was targeted to be attacked at night. They will not be informed the results of the attacks (whether the target was killed, recruited, or blocked in some way). This is a passive ability.
- The Town Gossip is always watching from their window, listening to their neighbors, and gabbing about the events of the day. As a result, they know a lot about what happens on Maple Street. Unfortunately, they hear so much gossip that they never know the whole picture.
- The Gossip will be informed each morning if any recruitments were successful. They will not be informed who was recruited, or how many players were recruited. This is a passive ability.
- Killed players will be roleclaimed.
- After the first day, role counts will not be posted in the header.
- At twilight, the player with the most votes will be lynched. Ties will be decided by coin flip.
- Town will get increasingly desperate as the wolf population increases. A new set of rules will be introduced if a certain game condition is reached to reflect their panic.
- This is an advanced-level game due to the use of recruitment as a central mechanic. There are also unannounced items that may enter the game and possible rule changes later in the game.
- DO NOT EDIT POSTS! DO NOT QUOTE DIRECTLY FROM YOUR QT! Doing so may get you modkilled and end up hurting your team and the game overall.
- Feel free to ask any questions in your personal QT or on the game thread.
- Attack arguments, not people. Everyone has a different play-style. Be accommodating to them.
Rule clarifications 1 (from Day 2):
- Vig kills occur directly befores wolf kills at night. (Wolves still get two attacks so long as there are at least two wolves.)
- Kills as a result of the guns distributed by the Doomsday Prepper cannot be healed by the doctor.
- Jailed players cannot use a gun or other items received from the DP. They will NOT lose the item if they attempt to use while jailed.
- Jailed players cannot be killed via gunshot. The player using the gun will lose their one-shot vig kill.
- DP items are distributed in the morning, meaning items cannot be used until the following day or night phase.
Rule clarifications 2 (from Day 2):
- The Doomsday Prepper cannot be recruited. If attacked, they are killed and their attacker is killed.
- Wolf attack order is determined by RNG. The first wolf determined by RNG gets the first attack, and thus would be killed by the DP if both wolves attack the DP.
- Starting wolves know the names of their fellow wolves. They do not know the roles (ie, stalker, detective) of their fellow wolves. Recruited wolves are given the name of the player who attacked them.
- Recruited players keep all items in their possession. Items are kept until a player uses them or dies. Items may be given to wolf players.
On future days, these rules will be abbreviated for space. If you want the full rules please return to the day one post.
- Doctor Nick
- Talky Tina
- Platypus Basileus
- Colonel Mustard
- the god king snugglewumps
- Smapti Jones
- A Winged Potato
- Robert Post’s Child
- Spiny Creature
- Sheltie- Tangled Up In Blue
- Captain Video
Day 1 ends on Tuesday, April 24th, at noon (Central time)