By June, 1791, Louis Capet and Marie Antoinette had had enough. The Revolution was growing increasingly radical, and their means of escape was becoming clear: They would cross over into the lands controlled by Austria and Prussia, and those who sought to restore the French Monarchy.
On the evening of June 20th, the two monarchs made their way to the graves of their dead children, the infant Sophie who had died of convulsions at 11 months, and Louis Joseph, dead at seven of tuberculosis. Then, they urged their remaining issue into a carriage and made their way westward.
The travelers were anxious but not overly fraught until, some 250 kilometers east of Paris, in the small town of Varennes-en-Argonne, their carriage was stopped by a guard captain.
“‘Allo! I will now be inspecting your papers!” Fortunately, because everyone was French, no one thought that Gramp’s outrageous accent. When the king opened the curtains, the captain looked closely at him. “I know you, Monsieur Louie King. Your face is all over ze money!”
The king, queen, and their family were quickly apprehended and taken back to Paris. With the country at war, a Comité de salut public had consolidated power over all its rivals. Comprised of the most radical of political parties, the Jacobins, its members determined that the King was too dangerous to leave alive.
Meanwhile at Varennes, the guard captain returned from all the commotion to find a shadowy figure in the barracks. She struck hard against the forces the Jacobins and the patriarchy.
Mr I Am My Own Grandfather (French Guard) has died. He was a citoyen (Vanilla Town).
The shadowy figure slipped out the door undetected. Well, almost. The waiting sword killed her before she had time to cry out. “This crime has been paid for” said the Scarlet Pimpernel, leaving a red flower on the cooling corpse.
Emmelemm has died. She was Olympe de Gouges (Wolf Roleblocker)
Twilight shall be on Monday, 13 January, at 3PM EST . With 5 players left, 3 votes for a single player (or “no kill”) will trigger Early Twilight)
Bonjour! You are a humble, loyal citoyen of France. (Vanilla Town) You may have been a member of any of the estates before the Revolution, but now you support the Jacobins, either through affection or fear. Your sole power lies in the franchise; your vote!
You win the game when the Wolves and Serial Killer are all dead.
- Owen (Marie Tussaud)
- Spookyfriend (Monsieur Falcon)
- Goat (Phillipe de Chèvre)
- Robert Post’s Child (The Time Bandits)
- Snugglewumps (Remy)
- Hohopossum (Jean-Luc Picard) (Vanilla Town)
- MacCrocodile (Croc Monsieur) (Vanilla Town)
- Raven and Rose (Pepe le Pew) (Vanilla Town)
- Sister Jude (George Sand) (Vanilla Town)
- Captain Video (Benjamin Franklin) (Town Jailer)
- The Wasp (Julie d’Aubigny) (Wolf Daykiller)
- Sic Humor (Jacques de la Varenne) (Town Doctor)
- The Hayes Code (Barbarella) (Wolf Spy)
- Nate the Lesser (Muzzy) (Vanilla Town)
- Mayelbridwen (Miss Clavel) (Wolf Recruiter)
- MSD (Count da Money) (Town Investigator)
- Miss Rim (Marie Calvet) (Vanilla Town)
- Mars 5 (Useless Fop) (Vanilla Town)
- Gramps (Racist caricature) (Vanilla Town)
- Tiff Aching’s Golden Hare (Le Lapin d’or de Tiff Aching) (Town Martyr)
- Emmelemm (Milla Jovovich) (Wolf Roleblocker)
16 4 Town 113 Vanilla Town (Citizens) 1 Town Jailer (Georges Danton) 1 Town Doctor (The Bishop of Digne) 1 Town Investigator (Maximillien Robespierre)
- 1 Town Vigilante (Jean-Paul Marat)
1 Town Martyr (Sydney Carton) 4 0 Wolves (Counterrevolutionaries) 1 Wolf Recruiter (Marquis de Lafayette) 1 Wolf Roleblocker (Olympe de Gouges) 1 Wolf Spy (Napoleon Bonaparte) 1 Wolf Daykiller (Charlotte Corday)
1 Serial Killer (The Scarlet Pimpernel)
Any and all active players may keep spreadsheets of info during this game, and post them on the OT. However, once a player has become inactive, they are to stop updates.