Editor’s Note: Feel free to post as big or as small of a list as you would like below but please keep your lists contained to these posts and do not make your own post or fill up the OT with them. The winners will be announced alongside the other winners of The Pits on 12/23 and will be calculated by adding up your lists (10 points for first, 9 for second, etc. with 5 per awarded for unranked Top 10 lists). The preference is for ranked lists to aid in determining a winner, but you are not required to rank them. Voting will be cut off some time on 12/20 so make sure to cast your ballot before then. If you wish to change your ballot before that date, feel free to do so.
Looking back, I actually played very few games that were released 2019. I spent most of the year replaying and getting caught up on titles released in previous years. So I only have a paltry five games for this ranking out of the eight 2019 games played. This Nintendo-heavy list would likely include Resident Evil 2 and Devil May Cry 5, two games I purchased on Black Friday but haven’t played yet.
5. Cadence of Hyrule – While it frustrated me when there were too many enemies on the screen, CoH’s gameplay is a fun twist on the classic Zelda formula. It also boast some excellent remixes, which I really wish were available on Spotify.
4. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night – Despite the performance issues, Igarashi and his team delivered on their promise to recreate the feel of the Castlevania games that made him a legend.
3. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening – Developer Grezzo faithfully translated this Game Boy classic for the Switch, adding significant quality of life improvements along with spruced up audio and visuals.
2. Luigi’s Mansion 3 – Endlessly charming and fun, Luigi’s third solo adventure kept me entertained throughout its brisk 13-hour campaign.
1. Super Mario Maker 2 – With an impressive array of new gadgets and environments, Nintendo gave us plenty of reason to flex our creative muscles. With improved search capabilities I’ve been able to find plenty of high-quality levels to play.