This week it’s time for a ranked list. I am going to go over every Sonic Screwdriver that we’ve seen The Doctor used in the franchise and rank them from worst to best
- The First and Second Doctor’s Sonic Screwdriver: This bland silver pen looking device was the first Sonic ever shown. There is really no place to go but up from here.
- The War Doctor’s Sonic Screwdriver: The red tips are a nice touch and it is more shapely but it is still mostly just a pen
- The Third Doctor’s Sonic Screwdriver: Now we’re talking. The design moved away from pen and more into the realm of medical penlights. Which is fitting as the hero is The Doctor after all. Though the yellow and black is a little much.
- The Ninth and Tenth Doctor’s Sonic Screwdriver: The First Sonic and it’s brown color variant is nice but honestly a little outdone by the later sonics. Also, I kinda miss the ring on the top.
- The Fourth and Fifth Doctor’s Sonic Screwdriver: This one ditches the yellow and black and a little of the red to good effect. It looks simple but also really elegant at the same time.
- The Seventh Doctor’s Sonic Screwdriver: Very similar to Four and Five’s. The Seventh Doctor’s Sonic has a more varied shape to it that I find appealing
- The Eleventh and Twelfth Doctor’s Sonic Screwdriver: The first and so far only Sonic Screwdriver to look kinda like a Screwdriver. The claws opening up whenever it is used is a visual treat. Also, Doctor 12 in all his wisdom swapped the green light for a blue light which makes it even better looking.
- The Twelfth Doctor’s Second Sonic Screwdriver: This screwdriver took inspiration from the TARDIS itself incorporating elements of the time rotor. The TARDIS Blue glow on the whole thing is so pretty. In Many ways it seems like the final evolution of the previous Modern Sonic Screwdrivers as such it is the start of my top three.
- The Thirteenth Doctor’s Sonic Screwdriver: The most unique looking Sonic Screwdriver. Thirteen’s has a very DIY look to it (Afterall she did make it in a garage out of scraps) The wood grain pattern and the crystal core are very nice touches and when the whole thing lights up and you can see glowing through the cracks the effect is stunning.
- Eighth Doctor’s Dark Eyes Sonic Screwdriver: Such a tragedy that the best Sonic Screwdriver is also the one doomed to have the least amount of screentime. The dark gold and brown coloration of the whole thing gives it a real classy and serious look then the tip with the Metebelis Crystal is the perfect bow to wrap the whole Sonic with. Like all the Sonics on my top three it has real character to it.
Honorable Mentions: These Tools are not Sonic Screwdrivers but I’d feel bad if I left them out
- Sixth Doctor’s Sonic Lance: This Dark Blue and Red thing looks like a thermometer. It is not one of my favorite gadgets. Though I will admit the colors do a good job trying to redeem it.
- Twelfth Doctor’s Sonic Sunglasses: These are cool. I really enjoyed seeing them in action and they fit Twelve’s character perfectly. Also the scene with One trying them on is delightful.
Please sound off in the comments if I got this ranking totally wrong and as always feel free to talk about whatever you like about the Doctor Who Universe.
You must be logged in to post a comment.