The world is changed.
I feel it in the water.
I feel it in the earth.
I smell it in the air.
Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.
It began with the forging of the Great Rings. Three were given to the Elves, immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Seven to the Dwarf-Lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And nine, nine rings were gifted to the race of Men, who above all else desire power. For within these rings was bound the strength and the will to govern each race. But they were all of them deceived, for another ring was made. Deep in the land of Mordor, in the Fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged a master ring, and into this ring he poured his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life.
One ring to rule them all.
Welcome to Werewolves 96: Lord of the Wolves. You are the denizens of Middle-Earth during the last years of the Third Age.
The One Ring that was lost has been found by Bilbo of the Shire, and the Dark Lord Sauron has finally had news of it. He has loosed his Nazgül upon the lands in search of the ring. If they gain control of it, Sauron’s power will be absolute, and all living beings will be enslaved to him. But as long as it is hidden from them, there is hope that it might be destroyed, and that Sauron’s power will wither and come to nothing.
Bilbo passed on the ring to his nephew Frodo, who has agreed to bear the burden, with the guidance of Gandalf. Each day you arrive at a new location on the Fellowship’s trip towards their doom in the land of Mordor. The Fellowship must destroy the ring in the fires of Mount Doom where it was forged. Only by this act can Sauron’s defeat be ensured.
Of course, the Nazgül and the Fellowship aren’t the only factions at play. Since its creation, there have always been beings, great and small, that hungered for the One Ring. And each have their own plans for its terrible power…
Will the One Ring be destroyed, and the free peoples of Middle-Earth triumph? Will Sauron gain control of the ring, and all come under his dominion? Or will some third power arise? It’s all up to you.
THE FREE PEOPLES (18 Town):
- The Fellowship (9)
- Frodo: The ring-bearer. The bearer of the ring is resistant to night-kills. If the ring-bearer is day-killed or corrupted (recruited), the ring passes to the next living non-corrupted member of the fellowship in this line of succession.
- Sam, Merry, & Pippin: Ring-bearers in waiting. No other powers.
- Aragorn: Can heal with their knowledge of athelas. Chooses one player per night to heal from night-kill.
- Boromir: Automatically becomes a Nazgül (Wolf) on Day 3. However, if they are the only remaining living Nazgül, they will revert back to town. This still applies even if they are corrupted (recruited) before Day 3.
- Gimli: Jailor. May not jail themselves. May not jail the same person two nights in a row.
- Gandalf: If killed, will resurrect on the day of their choosing. Gandalf must be dead one full day before resurrection.
- Legolas: Investigator. Results will read NAZGÜL or NOT NAZGÜL.
- NOTE: IF ALL NINE MEMBERS OF THE FELLOWSHIP HAVE DIED OR BEEN CORRUPTED, THERE ARE NO REMAINING RING-BEARERS AND SAURON WINS (WITH AN EXCEPTION IF GOLLUM IS STILL ALIVE).
- Eowyn – Attempts to kill one player every night. They are only successful if they target the Witch-King of Angmar.
- Vanilla Town (8)
NAZGÜL (4 Wolves):
- Witch-King of Angmar – can only be night-killed by Eowyn. Can be day-killed like any other player.
- Khamûl the Easterling – can attempt to corrupt (recruit) one townie every night until successful.
- Nameless Numenorean Nazgul #1 – Investigator. Investigation reveals the role of the player.
- Nameless Numenorean Nazgul #2 – Vanilla wolf.
OTHER POWERS (2 Alternative Win Conditions):
- Saruman (Serial Killer) – traditional SK win condition (wins if they are left alive at the end with one townie; if the final players left alive are the SK and a wolf, a special ending will occur).
- Gollum (Neutral) – If Gollum is still alive at the end for a town win, and Frodo is dead, Gollum wins instead of town. Also, if Gollum is alive and all of the members of the fellowship have died or been corrupted, the ring will fall to Gollum, and the game will continue, although town can no longer win.
There will also be daily, single-day roles that can be assigned to either town or scum. Check your QTs every day to find out if you’ve been assigned a one-shot role.
Night actions will occur in the order that enables the most actions to go through.
As you might have noticed, this game is pretty role-heavy. I don’t know if it’s going to be a disaster, but I’m excited to find out!
2. Mr. Glitch
3. Platypus Basileus
5. Sic Humor
7. Josephus Brown
11. Cop on the Edge-ish
14. Hoho Possum
15. Forget It Jake
24. Mr. I’m My Own Grandfather
1. Colonel Mustard
2. Hayes Code
3. Lamb Dance
4. Spiny Creature
Participation: Note that you must make a minimum of three posts per day to avoid being mod-killed or replaced.
Role-play: Please do not role-play as actual characters from the books or movies. In addition to the listed roles, other characters will be making an appearance.
Special thanks to Captain Video for helping me think through the roles and balance of this game!