The new summer anime season is almost upon us, and it’s time to do a short preview! For a full list of what’s premiering, please consult AniChart.
Here are my highlights:
- 7 Seeds. After a delay, this post-apocalyptic show finally premiered on Netflix a few days ago. It received a ludicrous amount of buzz before its release, but now, crickets. Do we have a dud on our hands?
- Astra Lost in Space. This show about a group of teenagers stranded on an abandoned spaceship is based off a well-regarded manga series. We’ll see how well it translates to anime.
- Cop Craft. The dual-world conceit of this buddy cop show sounds like an interesting way to mash up sci-fi and urban crime drama with some fun comedy hijinks. Plus, I’m a sucker for fish-out-of-water stories. I doubt it’ll fill the Durarara!!-sized hole in my heart, but if we get another Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens, then I’ll be very pleased.
- Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks? Parody isekai is becoming a genre unto itself, and while I’m sure this show will eventually devolve into (possibly incestuous) ecchi trash, there might be a bit of fun in there.
- Fire Force. This is the show pictured in the header. It’s based off a popular manga series about a group of firefighters with supernatural abilities who fight spontaneous human combustion. It also looks to be bizarrely full of fanservice for a show about extinguishing fires. I’m not really interested in this show, but promotion for it has been relentless, so I guess I’ll check it out out of obligation.
- O Maidens in Your Savage Season. Mari Okada’s work can be immensely frustrating and maddeningly plotted, but she undeniably has a strong authorial voice. I’m interested to see what she’s cooked up in this coming-of-age tale about high school girls, even if I probably won’t like the results.
- The Ones Within. What is this “Danganronpa” you speak of? I’ve never heard of it. Our show has an alpaca! That’s totally different from a bear… which I’m just mentioning by coincidence, since I’ve never experienced this “Danganronpa” and cannot confirm or deny the presence of bears.
What are you looking forward to? Let us know! Also, as usual, please use this space to discuss what you’ve been reading/eating/watching/playing/listening to lately.