Week 13 Avocado Fantasy League Results
• We’re just over a week away from this years MLB All-Star Game on July 9 in Cleveland. The full rosters for the AL and NL All-Stars are available right here. Anyone stand out to you as a notable snub? Or maybe someone who doesn’t belong?
• With the All-Star game comes the Home Run Derby. So far confirmed participants include Carlos Santana (Cleveland), Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (Toronto), Christian Yelich (Milwaukee), Pete Alonso (NY Mets), Josh Bell (Pittsburgh) and Ronald Acuna Jr (Atlanta). The final two participants will be revealed tomorrow night.
• Shohei Ohtani now must share the mantle of being a two-way player in the majors, Tampa has called up Brendan McKay. McKay was the #4 overall pick in the 2017 draft and thus far has shown promise as a pitcher (in the minor leagues he had a career ERA of 1.85, a 0.830 WHIP, and a strong 6.24 K/BB ratio) while being a so-so hitter (.703 OPS in 541 career plate appearances). McKay had played 1B in college but has thus far only been used as a DH when in the line-up as a hitter in 2019. He’s already made his first start as a pitcher and earned his first big league win with a 6 inning, 1 hit shutout against Texas and will make his first start at DH tonight against the Orioles.
• Another top (though non two-way) prospect has been called up as the White Sox have added Dylan Cease to the major league roster. Cease was the other major return piece in the Jose Quintana trade that the team made with cross-town rivals the Cubs. With Lucas Giolito having a breakout season as the club’s ace and Michael Kopech recovering from TJS, the White Sox look to be setting up for an enviable young trio headed their rotation next season.
• The London series between the Yankees and Red Sox took place over the weekend in front of two sold-out crowds. Pitching was apparently optional as the two teams combined to score 50 runs and crank out over 60 hits in the two game Yankees sweep. Any thoughts on the MLB’s intentions to try and win over a European audience? Next year we’ll see the Cubs and Cardinals take their rivalry overseas.
What’s on your minds this week?