This would be a good time to do a round on sesquicentennials (it’s my 150th one of these) but current events is a Wednesday tradition and there is one question I really want to ask today. Since it’s been a while, the definition of current events may be a bit more expansive than usual.
- A new record for largest margin of victory in a FIFA World Cup match was set this week. What two national teams played in the match in question?
- Maryland Governor Larry Hogan has declined to challenge Donald Trump for the Republican nomination in 2020, but another former state governor has already declared that he will. Who is that governor?
- Bryan Cranston won a Tony for his performance as Howard Beale in the 2018 stage adaptation of what 1976 film?
- Scientists recently tested a mosquito control solution in Burkina Faso based on genetically engineered fungus. The deadliness of the fungus to the mosquitoes is thanks to genes from what other organism?
- On June 10, 2019, Justin Bieber challenged Tom Cruise to a UFC fight. As of today (June 12), how many years older than Bieber is Cruise?
- USA, Thailand
- William Weld
- (Australian funnel-web) spider
Please use spoiler tags if you play along in the comments.