Week 9 Avocado Fantasy League Results
• Albert Amora Jr. and Kris Bryant of the Cubs this week both reiterated their desire to see further expansion of protective netting around baseball stadiums. This stemming from an incident this past Wednesday when a foul ball off the bat of Amora struck a young female fan in the stands. Play was halted for a couple minutes as a visibly distraught Amora needed consoling from teammates and manager Joe Maddon. Reports seem to be positive about the young girl’s prognosis. Sheryl Ring at Fangraphs brings us an examination of the debate about whether more netting should be required of the league.
• Philadelphia Phillies outfielder Odubel Herrera was arrested this week and placed on administrative leave by the league following reports of a domestic assault incident at a casino in Atlantic City. A handprint and scratches were reportedly left on the neck of Herrera’s girlfriend and he’s currently facing a court date on June 17. Its not yet known if the league will rule to further discipline Herrera.
• It’s June 3 and the MLB draft will be starting today. It also means that Dallas Keuchel and Craig Kimbrel are no longer tied to draft pick compensation and will almost definitely be signed very soon. Where do you think they’ll go?
• Red Sox 2B Dustin Pedroia admits to being unsure if he’ll ever play baseball again after his troublesome left knee once again forced a stop to his rehab assignment. That knee has limited him to 9 major league games over the past two seasons and while the prospect of another surgery has been discussed Pedroia is reluctant to go under the knife once more. At the moment an indefinite pause has been put on his rehab while he considers his future.
• The Seattle Mariners seem to be the first team to have tossed in the towel on the 2019 season as they’ve shipped off OF/1B Jay Bruce to Philadelphia (along with $18 million to help cover his salary) for minor league infielder Jake Scheiner.
What’s on your minds this week?