Note: PLEASE DO NOT SHIP LIVE ANIMALS
IT’S GIFTMASIVERSARY Y’ALL!! The anniversary of The Avocado is 12/4 – since Sunday tends to work better for the actual unwrapping, we’ll be celebrating on Sunday, 12/2.
NEW STUFF THIS YEAR:
- Added an option to the “Collection Point Pick-up” shipping preference for USPS General Delivery
- Tweaked the Amazon option to include Amazon pick-up (distinct from Amazon Locker; more common at universities)
- Added section in Residential Shipping Details to specify delivery instructions (e.g. if you live in an apartment building and want your gifter to request signature on delivery so your package doesn’t get stolen)
- General reminders/suggestions:
- Avocados shipping across the US/Canada border need to plan a buffer into their shipping time – I’d suggest adding two weeks to whenever you originally planned to ship. I know they seem close but the Mail Mooses are sloooow.
- If you reside in a country that has a history of customs issues or losing packages, please either opt to receive a digital gift, or do your best to provide delivery instructions with the level of detail necessary to minimize the chance it’ll get lost. It’s a real bummer for your gifter when their package fails to be delivered through no fault of their own.
- If you’re opting for digital only, or even if you’re not, consider including a range of dates or date guidelines that generally work for you in your Gift restrictions/specifications section — one great digital gift option is digital tickets to a concert or other event (generally all that’s needed for those is an email address to send the tickets to), but the biggest point of concern for gifters on that is getting something on a date that doesn’t work for the giftee.
GIFTMAS: Our priorities
1) Respect for privacy. There are a number of different options for both shipping and receiving, to try and be as inclusive as possible while respecting that everyone has different levels of comfort with personal information being out there in the world. I am the only one who will see the signups, and only relevant information will go to the person getting a gift for you, and only that person. Once the gift exchange is complete, I will delete everything. Trust me. I’m a data scientist.
2) Reduction of cost. There is a price cap, homemade goods will be accepted/encouraged, and Avocados will be lumped together by regions of the globe so as to cut shipping costs and keep shipping within national borders as much as possible. If finances are less of an issue for you and you’re chuffed by the idea of sending a package from New York to Sydney, please consider opting to ship internationally should the need arise. That said, if you’re a non-US Avocado, don’t hesitate to sign up – the more of you that do, the fewer people I have to beg to pay international shipping fees. That, or people might just opt to send you a gift card via email.
3) LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP FOR EVERYONE! It’s always nice to feel like you’re a part of a community, but in a community as large as this one, there’s always a chance you might get paired with someone you don’t know very well. To that end, there will be a section to include things you like or are interested in if you choose. That said (and this especially goes for anyone who is getting a gift for a female Avocado), let’s keep it purely friendly – no romantic overtones, no professions of love written and folded into the pages of a book. I know there are some crushes out there, but unless you’re somehow paired with a user you’re actually dating, let’s keep it platonic. We want this to be fun, not awkward.
If there is, unfortunately, someone you would not be comfortable giving a gift to/receiving a gift from under any circumstances, there will be a place to note that and I am the only one who will ever see it. While I ask that you take the time to consider these exceptions carefully, I don’t want someone to feel uncomfortable participating because they’re worried about someone they have a bad relationship with here knowing their address. Once names are drawn, there will be no “swapping” or reassigning of names.
HOW TO GIFT
- Sign up and tell me your preferences by completing this form by October 12th. If you have any problems using the form, or the form is not equipped to address your specific situation, please let me know ASAP.
- Sit on your hands and wait until you get an email from me with your giftee’s deets, along with additional information.
- Scour the globe/web for the perfect gift.
- Gifts should not exceed US$20 in value.
- Homemade gifts are acceptable and encouraged.
- If you plan on making a food item for your giftee, please a) make sure it’ll still be good by the time it gets there, and b) that you’ve addressed any dietary restrictions your giftee has. If your giftee neglected to mention any dietary restrictions and you want to double-check, reply to the email I send you and I will contact your giftee. Yeah, that might spoil the surprise a bit, but so would anaphylactic shock. That said, dietary restrictions are a good thing to include in the “additional info” section.
- I’ll post an introduction/wishlist thread, in addition to the details included in the email, so you’ll hopefully have some good creeping material.
- PLEASE ship your gift so that it will arrive on or before Saturday, December 1st. Do not include your username anywhere with your gift. IRL sender names might be inescapable with some shipping options, but if you don’t include your username, you effectively remain anonymous. Plus, some people like the surprise.
- DO NOT OPEN YOUR GIFT UNTIL DECEMBER 2nd.
- Do your best to be lurking The Avocado on Sunday, December 2nd! I will host an Anniversary Party/Gift Opening Thread, at which point we can all thank our fellow Avocados for their generosity, and people who are dying to know who their gifter was can ask. Please respect that not everyone will wish to know who their gifter was. No spoilers!
- FedEx: https://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en&link=1&lid=//ship/Pack+Rates+Corp
- UPS: https://wwwapps.ups.com/calTimeCost?loc=en_US
- USPS: https://postcalc.usps.com/ (note USPS does a small flat-rate domestic shipping box for $6.80)
- DHL: https://ratequote.dhl-usa.com/
And I think that pretty much covers it!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave ’em below. I may make tweaks to the form as I receive feedback.
Questions or concerns you wish to voice privately? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Let’s do this!