Welcome, Avocados, to the second round of the BEST ALBUM COVER Tournament! Thanks to everyone for their votes in the first round!
For the most part, the ones we all thought were going to do gangbusters did gangbusters, but there were a few fairly dramatic upsets. The brackets are here, if you’re interested.
Notes from Last Round:
- The most dramatic upsets were Violent Femmes’ self-titled (30) losing 29 to 65 to Thelonious Monk – Underground (35), Yes – Relayer (37) losing 27 to 61 to Miles Davis – Bitches Brew (38), and The Beatles – Yesterday and Today (19) losing 25 to 61 to Dead Kennedys – Frankenchrist (46). Ouch!
- Despite three separate nominations making it into the tournament, Grace Jones doesn’t advance once, though in her contest against Captain Beefheart (Nightclubbing (34) vs. Trout Mask Replica (31)), she lost by one solitary vote.
- The least-popular loser was Cyndi Lauper – She’s So Unusual (41) with a measly 21 votes.
- The least-popular winner was A Tribe Called Quest – The Low End Theory (17), which only garnered 46 votes vs. Funkadelic – Maggot Brain (48) with 45.
- The most-popular winner was The Clash – London Calling (24), which is in fact a parody cover, with a whopping 83 votes, crushing poor Cyndi Lauper.
Reminder: The actual quality of the album itself is irrelevant! This is a contest about how great the cover itself is! Vote for the ones you like! Vote for both if you like both, or neither if you like neither! I’m not your supervisor!
Voting on this round ends Monday Sept. 17 around 11:00am EDT!