So, yeah, for the featured image this week, I’m going with what is kind of a silly moment from a very silly Star Trek episode, one in which Kirk falls so madly in love with an android woman that she becomes confused to death. Kirk is devastated, and Spock and McCoy share one of their more somber conversations about humanity. McCoy thinks Spock can never understand what Kirk’s going through because he’s a Vulcan, but Spock, once McCoy leaves the room, does something he’s never done before (and will never do again) and erases Kirk’s memory in order to rid him of the pain.
Yet at the same time, I think the moment is important for a number of reasons. The importance of Kirk and Spock’s friendship wasn’t emphasized much in the franchise until the theatrical movies, so it’s little acts of kindness like this one that demonstrate how deeply Spock does care (Spock never even admitted that Vulcans go through emotions like humans do until Star Trek: The Animated Series, so scenes like this were special and even kind of rare). So let’s all do our bit today for each other, even if we don’t have Vulcan powers.
If you’ve never been here until now, this is a place for “serious” discussions. And they don’t have to be “sad” things either. Sexuality, masturbation, concern of relatives and friends, other issues–all are fair game here.
So, without further ado, here are the guidelines:
1. Be respectful. That goes without saying.
2. Keep discussions “serious.” We have plenty of other places to joke around around here, but sometimes people are in a place when they’re in a need for a hug instead of a yuk.
3. Try your best not to make anyone feel worse. In other words, if someone says “I’m worried Trump is going to start a war overseas,” don’t respond by saying, “Yeah, he’s definitely going to.”
4. If politics and/or religion are brought up, do not try to turn the conversation into an argument. We have other threads for that. This is a safe space and should please be treated as such.
5. I’m not a leader bean, so tend to the mods if there are any issues, but I’m pretty confident that everyone will be nice here.
6. If you bring up something controversial and don’t wish to have it turn into a debate, please say “I’m not looking for a debate here.” If someone says this in their post, everyone please respect that.
Well, that’s it. Have a blessed afternoon, everyone!
And you are loved.