We decided that it’s weird that we now have weekly book and music discussion posts, but no movie discussion posts. What should you post here?
- what you watched this week
- what you’re looking forward to watching
- movie discussion questions
- trailer talk
- movie news
- Scott posting lists
- other people posting lists
- critiques of Scott’s lists
- et cetera
Movie Spotlight o’ the Week:
Turner Classic Movies is doing a spotlight on Slavery on Film this month. Three films were aired last Wednesday (Gone with the Wind, Uncle Tom’s Cabin, and The Littlest Rebel), and four more will be airing tomorrow night. Donald Bogle will be providing commentary.
Tomorrow, Wednesday, July 25th, the line-up is as follows:
- 8 PM EST: The Foxes of Harrow (1947): A gambler played by Rex Harrison buys his way into society in antebellum New Orleans.
- 10:15 PM EST : Band of Angels (1957): Clark Gable buys a mixed-race slave, played by Yvonne de Carlo, and falls in love with her.
- 12:15 AM EST: Tamango (1958): Alex Cressan incites a slave rebellion on board a ship; Dorothy Dandridge must decide whether to side with the white captain she’s in love with or her fellow slaves.
- 2:30 AM EST: Mandingo (1975): A family of plantation owners rape and otherwise sexually exploit their slaves.