Tuesday, Septa-Month 10, 2018
Dear Fellow Nollopians,
It has been brought to our attention that the letter tiles on the cenotaph of Nevin Nollop in the town center have begun to fall and shatter on the ground. This can only mean that Nollop has willed that these letters no longer be used in any communication, written or spoken.
Henceforth, you are forbidden from using the letters Z, Q, or J. Breaking this law will carry stiff punishment. We are given to understand that there are a group of Rebels plotting to overthrow this Council. Any individual caught conspiring with these Rebels will be brought to [scratched out word that you can faintly make out as “justice”] the town center for public reprisal.
Nollop is our guide, and if it is his divine opinion that we can function without these letters, it must be so. We are an island of intellectuals, and the Council sees no reason that these restrictions should have an adverse effect on your lives.
12 Rebels (Vanilla Town)
1 Rebel Cop
1 Rebel Farmer
1 Rebel Journalist
1 Rebel Silencer
1 Loyalist (Vanilla Wolf)
1 Loyalist Goon
1 Loyalist Pedant
1 Loyalist Spy
Rules and Roles
1) Players may not use forbidden letters in their posts. You are also not allowed to use asterisks or other symbols to fill in for missing letters.
2) Your QTs are safe havens, in which you may speak freely without fear of reprisal from the Town Council.
3) Democracy is very important to Nollopians, and voting is mandatory. If you do not vote, an NPC Nollopian will cast a random vote in your place. Ties will be decided by a randomly-chosen player not involved in the tie.
4) Broken rules may result in loss of vote, role-blocking, silencing, or in extreme cases, death.
5) A random player (can be either Town or Wolf) will begin Day One silenced with fear or guilt.
6) Other standard rules apply: Only vote in the Vote Thread. No game-related chat after Twilight. And most importantly, NO EDITING POSTS FOR ANY REASON. In this game especially, it is verboten to change a post, even if you’ve made a spelling, grammar, or coding error. If you are caught editing a post, you will be mod-killed.
7) Snitching is fun! And encouraged! If you see another player using a forbidden letter, call them out! Players get bonuses for successful snitching. There may also be rolling punishments if more than one player uses a forbidden letter.
8) Please make at least five game-related comments per Day. Trying to avoid breaking the letter rules by not posting will not fly.
9) Please use the modern English alphabet for your posts. Players cannot get around the rules by posting in Greek or Cyrillic. Common contractions and abbreviations are allowed, as are phonetic substitutions (saying “selery” for “celery”, for example).
10) This is a game all about deception and lying and betrayal and voting to kill one another. Don’t make things personal, and don’t take things personally. Just have fun!
-Rebel Cop: May investigate a player at Night for a “Loyalist” or “Rebel” result.
-Rebel Farmer: May hide someone in the barn to protect them overnight. Cannot pick the same target on consecutive Nights. Hiding someone in the barn will prevent them from activating roles. The Farmer also has a one-shot ability to use their Night action to protect himself/herself.
-Rebel Journalist: May grant a one-shot “Freedom of Speech” power to another player each Night. Players who use their “Freedom of Speech” may ignore the rules regarding forbidden letters the next Day.
-Rebel Silencer: You worry that your neighbor will inadvertently break a rule, and you’d rather see them struck mute than risk punishment. The Silencer picks a target at Night. The next Day, the target cannot communicate in words at all, but may only post pictures and GIFs. The pictures/GIFs may have their original subtitle if they’re from a source such as a TV show, movie, commercial, etc., but players may not add their own custom subtitles. The silenced target will vote privately in their QT.
-Loyalist Goon: A Wolf that may select a target at Night to be role-blocked.
-Loyalist Pedant: A Wolf that may select a target at Night. The targeted player will have an extra forbidden letter to avoid the next Day, chosen by the Pedant. The Pedant may not select the same target on consecutive Nights, and activating the power has a 25% chance of backfiring on the Wolves.
-Loyalist Spy: A Wolf that will show up on Cop alignment tests as Town.
Day One Reminders:
A player’s faction and role will be revealed upon death. Dead players should not discuss the game in the open thread (though they can say good-bye as they head for that giant library in the sky). Dead players will also get a link to The Graveyard, where they can discuss the ongoing game.
You may choose to cast a “No Lynch” vote in the vote thread. This counts as an official vote, which will prevent an NPC from voting in your place.
Do not directly quote or post screencaps from your QT links. You are free to make claims about your powers and allegiances on the open thread, but those claims will not be confirmed or denied by the moderator.
Day One (and most typical Days) will last 24 hours, or until a majority vote is reached. A typical Night will last 12 hours. Day/Night lengths may be adjusted if necessary.
If you have questions that may reveal sensitive information, feel free to ask them in your personal QT. Please note that you are encouraged to ask questions about the rules of the game, how your powers work, and whatever else comes to mind. Check your QTs often!
1) April Ludgate-Karate-Dwyer (The Honorary (Ret.) SgtMaj Dr. ZK Rothschild, JD, MBA, MD, PhD, EIT, CPA, DDS, MS-DOS, RN, CLA, BBQ, MBA, USMC, BRB, TTYL)
2) Captain Video (Mayor John Gadsby)
3) sic humor (Sic Rumors)
4) Scaly Creature (Blasa Jiménez)
5) hohopossum (hohopossumspeak&spell)
6) MacCrocodile (Lefty)
7) D. Goat (Darlington Bexley Goatsborough)
8) Admirax (Lili Von Shtupp)
9) spookyfriend (Princess Cassima)
10) Thoughts x3 (Ampersand Brown)
11) Owen (Mister Mxyzptlk)
12) The Hayes Code (The Terrible Trivium)
13) Flubba Gunto (Dewey Fvck)
14) forget_it_jake (Count von Count)
15) Grumproro (Prue)
16) Louie Blue (Whittaker Cobalt)
17) Sheltie (Micolash, Host of the Nightmare)
18) Lord Stoneheart (Amethyst)
19) subsaharan (C. Willoughby Fucksalot)
20) WoodSword (Etaoin Shrdlu)
Day One ends on Wednesday, July 11 at 12PM EST, or if a majority lynch vote is reached first.