Sorry for putting this up late. The summer 2018 anime season starts next week, and it’s time to take a gander a what looks interesting:
- Aguu: Genius Dolls. (Aguu: Tensai Ningyou) I’m always down for fiction about how messed-up high society is, and this show looks both hella stylish and macabre.
- Banana Fish. It does look a little self-consciously grim and gritty, but urban crime drama anime is my drug, and if nothing else I find Japanese takes on American culture amusing. Plus, I liked what MAPPA did with Kakegurui. [pictured in header]
- Chio’s School Road. (Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro) The premise for this gag anime (based on a manga) is hilariously stupid: the titular character runs into ludicrous, unbelievable obstacles on her commute to school every day.
- Dropkick on My Devil!! (Jashin-chan Dropkick) This looks like Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid but if Tohru and Kobayashi were trying to kill each other. Sometimes I just need something light and goofy.
- High Score Girl. Boy is good at video games. Girl defeats boy at video games, repeatedly. Boy and girl strike up unlikely friendship. Looks cute!
- Planet With. I don’t care if this ends up being as stupid as Darling in the FRANXX; I like giant robots. And though it’s being produced by J.C. Staff, it really looks like a Trigger show.
What looks interesting to you? Here’s a handy chart of what’s airing, for your reference. I can’t find a repository of Western streaming information, but if you have one, please share it in the comments.