First day of the new Learned League season. Haven’t looked at the questions yet, but it’s probably time to dig back in to my weak spots.
- What country is pictured below?
- From 1971 to 1997 the country currently known as the Democratic Republic of the Congo was known by what name?
- The Conservationist and July’s People are two novels by what South African writer and activist who won the 1991 Nobel Prize of Literature?
- Name either of the two African Great Lakes that drain into the Congo river.
- What series of novels that was adapted into a seven-episode HBO series in 2008 features as its protagonist Mma Precious Ramotswe, the first female private investigator in Botswana?
- Nadine Gordimer
- Lake Kivu, Lake Tanganyika
- The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency
Please use spoiler tags if you play along in the comments.