As I’ve pointed out before, the main goal of writing these questions daily is to make me grapple with my weaker trivia categories and hopefully improve on them. Sports is definitely one of those weaknesses, and while I’ve done a number of sports questions in the past, I tend to focus on the historical / cultural aspects of sports, which is the subtopic in which I am most (still not very) interested in and least (still pretty) bad at. So today’s questions are all about current or recent sports stuff.
- What #16 team upset #1 seed Virginia in the first round of the 2018 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship?
- The athlete pictured on the cover of the video game NBA 2K18 was traded to a new team before the game’s release. Name both the team whose uniform he is wearing on the original cover and the team he was traded to.
- Name this two time MVP, seen here as a fan celebrating the Philadelphia Eagles’ victory in the NFC Championship game?
- 30.4% of respondents to the most recent NHL Players’ Association poll called this man the most difficult forward in the league to defend against. He also took the top spot in “Best Team Player” and “Best Role Model”, as well as other categories. Who is he?
- The Men’s Singles winner of the Australian Open 2018 is from Switzerland. What country is the Women’s Singles winner from?
- UMBC (University of Maryland in Baltimore County)
- Cleveland Cavaliers, Boston Celtics
- Mike Trout
- Sidney Crosby
Please use spoiler tags if you play along in the comments.