Welcome to another edition of The Escritoire! This is a space for Avocado members to submit in-progress writing for feedback. We’re here to read your stories, slide decks, smut, weird essays, love letters, or anything else you want to improve.
This week’s featured topic: How do you get started on new writing? What are some of your rituals/processes/traditions? (thanks to phodreaw for the suggestion!)
- Try to post work by Friday and critique by the following Friday.
- This thread stays pinned only through the weekend so bookmark it if needed.
- Don’t download or otherwise attempt to share other people’s work.
- If you’d like to keep getting feedback, critique as many other people’s work as you can. If you see someone doing a lot of critiquing, try to return the favor.
- If you’re hosting your work on Google Drive, you may want to turn on “anyone can comment” so that people can make in-line suggestions.
- Please submit no more than one piece per week.
- Your submission can be of any length, but you shouldn’t expect that it will be read/critiqued beyond the first 5,000 words.
- When you post, try to include the category (fiction/nonfiction), what feedback you’re looking for, and any content warnings that apply. You can also include word count, genre, and anything else you think we should know, but they’re not necessary.
- You may repost work if it’s been substantially edited since the last time it was posted.
If you disagree with any these, feel free to mention it in the comments.
That’s it from me. Let’s see what you’ve got!