SPOILER WARNING: The rules of this game give minor spoilers for season one of The Good Place.
Everything is fine.
So usually there’s a whole spiel, but there’s no time…
…Oh, right. I am going to cut to the chase: You are all dead, and there is an afterlife. There’s a Good Place (yay!) and a Bad Place (not yay!), but we’re having a bit of technical difficulties so instead you’re here, in The Medium Place (medium yay?).
I know this is all very confusing, so I’m here to help you with whatever you need. Hi! I’m Janet.
Anyways, let me correct that first thing: Everything is not fine. Everything is very bad, in fact.
We sent the twenty of you here to The Medium Place because it seems as though The Beast has decided to crash our little party. I know that sounds scary, but don’t worry, it’s just a name. A name for a horrible monster who kills for fun and wants to instigate the apocalypse.
We can’t have such a powerful, nefarious being infiltrate The Good Place or The Bad Place. If The Beast manages to claim four souls as their Four Horsemen, then all is lost and existence is blinked away in an instant. Unfortunately, that instant will be filled with intense, infinite pain so it will feel like much more than an instant.
Please don’t let that happen. Okay, bye!
Factions and roles
15 Town, including:
11 Dead Souls (Vanilla Town)
1 Mindy St. Clair (Special Detective)
3 Angels: Guardian, Crusader, and Inquisitor (Special Masons; Jailer, Vigilante, and Detective)
4 Demons, including: Shawn, Trevor, Vicky, and Glenn (Recruiter, Special Strongman, Spy, and Vanilla/Biter)
The Beast (SK)
Night action order:
- Town/angel actions (Vig kills, investigations, jailing)
- The Beast night kill
- All Demon actions (recruitment, night kill, kill stealing)
- The Beast is a rogue demon who has decided to incite the apocalypse. That’s a bad thing, even for The Bad Place. Not existing is, obviously, not ideal. The Beast needs to first claim four souls to be its Four Horsemen before they can destroy Earth, The Good Place, The Bad Place, and everything in between.
- The Beast is more powerful than demons, and therefore can only be killed by the Crusader or via lynching. The Beast cannot be lynched on day one.
- The Beast is an SK and wins the game by killing four players to claim as their Four Horsemen. If the kill is stolen by angels or demons, then it does not go towards The Beast’s count.
- Souls that are claimed by The Beast do not go to the Graveyard, but instead join The Beast’s QT to assist with their horrible plan. If The Beast brings about the apocalypse, those four players join in the victory.
Mindy St. Clair
- Mindy is the only human who has earned her own “Medium Place”, which is beyond the reach of any angels from The Good Place or demons from The Bad Place. She is unconcerned with the actions of angels or demons, but The Beast presents a threat, so she needs to find the killer before he ends her mediocre eternity of People magazine, naked gardening, and Eagles music.
- Mindy is out of the reach of the agents of The Good Place or The Bad Place and therefore cannot be killed by angels or demons, but can be killed by The Beast. Mindy cannot be lynched on day one.
- Mindy is desperately attempting to find The Beast. Each night she can investigate one player. She will be informed if that player is or is not The Beast. She doesn’t care if players are an angel or a demon, and her results will only read “The Beast”, “human”, or “not human”.
- The angels are the agents of The Good Place and are seeking to save all the poor souls who have been caught in this predicament. If the angels can help the dead souls ascend to The Good Place, they will end the plans of The Beast and the demons and earn victory for The Good Place.
- Angels share a QT and are Town-aligned. If the angels win, Town wins, and vice versa.
- The angels have divine protection, but only for a short time. Angels cannot be lynched on day one or killed during night one.
- The Inquisitor is an angelic detective who can find only demons.
- The Guardian is an angelic jailer who can block a single player each night. Jailed players cannot use or be the target of night actions.
- The Crusader has two vigilante kills to be used at any time.
- Demons are agents of The Bad Place. The Beast is running amok, so the demons are taking the opportunity to steal as many souls for The Bad Place as possible. If the demons manage to outnumber the remaining Town players, they will overpower the remaining souls and claim victory for The Bad Place.
- Demons share a QT.
- Demons share a night kill.
- Shawn is the boss demon and has a one-shot recruitment ability. If Shawn targets The Beast or any roled Town player (Mindy St. Clair or an angel), the recruitment fails.
- Trevor is a douchebag, even as far as demons go, and has a one-shot ability to steal The Beast’s kill. On the night Trevor chooses to steal The Beast’s kill, the demons lose their own night kill, but The Beast’s kill does not become one of the Four Horsemen. The kill is automatically stolen (that is, Trevor does not pick a target; simply activating this ability means The Beast’s kill becomes the wolves’ kill), unless otherwise affected via angel actions.
- Vicky is an aspiring actress demon and shows as Town when investigated.
- Glenn is a biter. He likes to bite. (This has no effect on the game and is simply flavor text.)
- Killed players will be roleclaimed.
- At twilight, the player with the most votes will be lynched. Ties will result in all tied players being lynched.
- DO NOT EDIT POSTS! DO NOT QUOTE DIRECTLY FROM YOUR QT! Doing so may get you modkilled and end up hurting your team and the game overall.
- Feel free to ask any questions in your personal QT or on the game thread.
- Attack arguments, not people. Everyone has a different play-style. Be accommodating to them.
Spoilers note: This game is modeled after The Good Place. While I do not plan on any blatant spoilers (beyond the oblique spoilers in these rules), I cannot promise this game will be 100% free of spoilers for the show. Participate at your own risk.
Finally, this is a beginner-to-moderate level game, but returning players are encouraged to bring back their favorite characters from past games. After all, you’re in the afterlife! (Obviously, this is not required and new players are also welcome.)
- Sister Jude the Obscure
- Goatful Dead Head
- Lovely Bones
- Annanomally in Hawkins
- The Hayes Code
- sic horror
- Lord Stoneheart
- The Abominable Doctor Nick
- Terrible Renegade DiebraryLass